Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Chiropractic Aide

Gary Shannon here.

I've aided chiropractors since 1985 now. I've learned a few things along the way. It's time for me to share them.

Why The Chiropractic Aide?

"Chiropractic" means "using hands" (from Greek). Rarely using drugs or surgery (the two main tools of the American Medical Doctor), Chiropractic Doctors find and fix physical problems related to the body with hands-on methods. Doctors of Chiropractic have been though years of training, similar to Medical Doctors. They generally know exactly what they need to do to help patient achieve better health and better life.

In all that schooling, though, there are a lot of details about running a fun, effective office that chiropractic colleges do not teach. Thus,

DOCTORS ARE NOT TAUGHT HOW TO:
  • run all the elements of a efficient practice,
  • take on staff legally and efficiently,
  • train and teach staff how to do their jobs,
  • to help staff to work together (the doctor included),
  • to work well with other professionals,
  • repair administrative and personnel problems when they occur.
Doctors are motivated and smart. They generally only need a little training and guidance, then they "get it". These points are not part of the usual doctor curriculum. A lot of doctors do find out this stuff. A lot of it. A lot of them. Not all of them. Not all of it.

The Aide

That's where I come in. I have learned this stuff, through formal training, careful study and decades of experience. Thus I do consulting and contract work here out of Portland, Oregon. Based on my reputation, Chiropractors have contacted me for help and advice with all kinds of situations, big and small, wanting to know "how to" and "what to" and "can you". Then I give them the answers and solutions and techniques that they need.

This blog, then, is the course that chiropractor's didn't get while they were in college. Even chiropractic assistant training and office staff training doesn't generally include this stuff. After a while, I suppose I'll turn this into a text-book or something. For now, though, it'll be a more or less randomly organized set of essays about the details of a well-run office. I'll post the best comments. I'll update links. I'll add posts as time and demand allows. You can use is as you wish.

Disclaimer:
You know your position a lot better than I do. If any thing I write here doesn't fit your experience or situation, don't use it. If you want something here clarified, corrected, amended or edited, please ask. I'm not hard to contact.
All the best to you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment